Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Our Island

Drive leading to our camp on the 'island'
I have my own island. Peninsula, rather. And really it is "mine" only for the next few days. For now, though, my mobile office/home is perched in the center of a cul-de-sac of land, a spit that forms the driveway leading up to it. Our view of Copano Bay is almost 360 degrees of waterfront. In the near distance is the fishing bridge and beyond that the bridge connecting to Lamar and Holiday Beach. Apart from whispers of traffic and small aircraft overhead, I am serenaded by fish jumping and birds chirping. Sounds of heavy machinery -- of work getting done -- are there, too. They blend with rather than blast through the music of Nature. Trucks and cars hum across the bridge, now. Equipment is silent for the moment. Great Blue Heron squawked directly above me, flying low. Sage is finally napping after refusing to sleep for several days. I'm recalibrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment